Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 2008


GB’s view of it so far!

Well I thought it was about time I said something of our move to STL.. well I was prodded actually!! In the scheme of things it has gone very smoothly, well that’s what it feels like, but then, just like child birth (so I’m told) you forget the really painful bits quickly because there is something good happening that makes you forget!

The time has passed really quickly and I’ve already had my first full week at work. I have my own office and acquired all the mod cons that go with it, including a new ‘Blackler’berry that is making Dee very jealous. So much so, she thinks I’m already addicted to it.. Hello! Does she remember being Edward scissor hands with her mobile phone back in Blighty!?

I’ve had fun and games sorting cars out with the my car (SUV actually) not being ready until 9th December so I’ve now had to take on a long term rental car, while Dee’s mummy sized SUV should be ready to go this week.. and it’s black, so Dee is happy!

Picking the dog up from the airport was fun and games as I had to go on my own and it was late in the evening when she actually arrived. So armed with our (Danya’s) trusty Sat Nav, off I went to the airport to find some sort of cargo place that’s not listed, so obviously I arrive at the wrong terminal! Eventually made it to cargo who were about to close and said they had no-one to clear Yoji through customs so they sent me to the main terminal.. Having now found the car park for the main terminal (2nd lot of charges) and found baggage services, they redirected me to Continental help desk, who contacted the ground crew to find out if a big eared, ginger fluff ball had arrived on the flight! Luckily she had, but it did take them about 15 minutes to determine she had cleared customs in Texas!

They now delivered her in a big wooden crate to my feet on one of those airport luggage trolley’s and after explaining I only wanted the dog and not the crate as it was far too big to fit into our sensible choice of a 4 door saloon car (my fault, it looked the nicest car at time of renting!) they nicely explained that I’d paid for it, so it was mine and I had to take it!

Do you know how hard it is to fit a big dog crate into a lift, no? Well it is very hard and I had to do some modifications to the crate and a bit of brute force to get it in.. and out of the lift! Once I got to the car, I let Yoji out to see if she would do a pee, and I can tell you, she didn’t look happy! She gets panicked going in a car for short trip to my mum’s, so you can imagine what she was like flying on two airplanes half way across the world.. you guessed it, feeling very sorry for herself! Anyway, she didn’t do a pee, she did a great big poo in the middle of the car park road! Having not brought any poo bags with me, I had a quick scan of the car park to see if anyone was looking (thankfully not as big fines over here and it was 10.30pm) before shushing her into the tiny foot well of the car.

Now was the problem of the crate. It was a sturdy wooden thing with stapled wire mesh ends that no matter how hard I pulled or pushed, would not come apart. I delicately scanned the crate for any evidence of my name or anything that could link it to me, before taking it for a walk around the car park to see where I could conveniently accidently leave it in the confused state that I was in! I did find somewhere and have been waiting ever since for a lorry to turn up to deliver it back to me. That was until I noticed that on the receipt I had, they had put the wrong address for us, so felt much better after that!

As Dee has mentioned before, the temporary accommodation is really good and we feel very comfortable here, but soon we need to pack up again and move on. Next weekend is move day and we look forward to the big house in the country! I’ll be back to commuting to work while Dee can walk the girls to school.. well she would have but they’ll get the bus for the long ½ mile journey to school.

Life is really hard right now and I’m not sure how we’ll cope with the two new cars, big house, cheap petrol, cheap food and cheap restaurants. Oh well, I suppose we’ll have to be brave and strong and just battle through!

No comments:

Post a Comment